Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Impractical, crazy, ill advised

I read something like this on another blog so I thought I would change it a bit for our family situation. It really sums things up nicely.

As we look forward to adopting Ember, I find that there are a couple of different ways to approach the impending adoption. Yes, adopting a child with special needs for us, is impractical, crazy, and ill advised. Allow me to explain.

We have a good marriage and four children - Mackenna (13), Tanner (12), Ashton (10) and Sienna (19 mos). God has truly blessed us! Why adopt? No earthy reason.

We already have a child with special needs. Sienna has down syndrome. Don't we have enough to deal with? Why adopt? No earthly reason.

International adoptions are expensive - it is money that in all honesty we don't have. We'll likely need to take on debt to complete this. Why adopt? No earthly reason.

We have a wonderful home, but I have a hard time keeping up with the housework and the clutter. Add another child, and the job will be compounded. Why adopt? No earthly reason.

Our children are our pride and joy and they might be jealous of the time we'll need to commit to the special needs of Ember. Why adopt? No earthy reason.

Let's face it. I'm getting older. I have some grey hair coming in, and none of our friends have "young 'uns" anymore. My energy level and patience aren't what they used to be! Why Adopt? No earthly reason.

The kids go off to bed and I am exhausted myself. I'm exhausted trying to keep up with the busy schedules of preteens plus a baby. I wake up to the messes I couldn't take care of the night before. Why adopt? No earthly reason.

I need more time in the day. As it is I don't have enough time for myself. There are so many things I would like to do - travel, get back into horses, even sit quietly and read for an afternoon. Why adopt? No earthly reason.

Above, I have listed several problems that make my life chaotic and harried. Admittedly, I have difficulty keeping my daily life and schedule in order. Adopting, for me, is impractical, crazy, and ill advised. It's all true - there are no earthly reasons for me and my family to adopt. However, in spite of all of these earthly reasons not to adopt, I keep coming back to one reason to adopt. It is the heavenly reason to adopt, and it trumps all of the selfish, earthly reasons not to adopt. It is a Call to adopt.
It is our Call, our duty, and our extreme privilege to adopt Ember from Eastern Europe. She is one of God's most vulnerable children, and I am going to work very hard to provide her with a loving and fulfilling life through my imperfect life. We will probably have to make some sacrifices along the way, and our family will likely resemble a circus at times. I am thankful for the opportunity to adopt, and believe me, this adoption, while changing the life of a needy child, will change and bless my life even more.
I realize not everyone is called to adopt. I DO think everyone is called though to do SOMETHING. There are many ways to answer God's call - through prayer, give financially, give of your time, spread the word of the needs of these children. There is a part for everyone to play.

Mark 9:37 “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were called to adopt. Life is always crazy and hectic when you have children, but it is so worth it. You hit the nail on the head when you said it will change and bless your life even more. People talk about how great of a thing it is we do when we adopt, but really it is the child that does great things for us. Milana has changed our lives for the better in so many ways. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I am going to send this to my family!

    Catherine
    wronginalltherightways-travcat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I read the original post too. Adopting puts you through so many emotions but it was truly a blessing of it's own for us. We lost some friends, but we emerged on the "other side" as a stronger family, thanking God for everything that got us here.

    I'm still so excited for you! I wouldn't have guessed when we met last fall that you'd be in the middle of an adoption here in March! Many prayers and hugs for you (and of course Miss Sienna, one of cutest little sweeties I've met!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly said...your words echo our hearts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said!!! I know she is well worth the investment! Can't wait to watch her grow up. Anticipating her homecoming! Praying you get there soon! ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! I also read the original (from a dad) and appreciated your "mom" perspective!

    My DH just agreed to adopt through RR! Praise God!

    We will be joining you on the journey soon my sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautifully said! As your mom I want to say how proud I am of you. We look forward to Ember's homecoming and joining our family! She is such a beautiful and precious little girl. Our love to all of you!
    Gary/Mom

    ReplyDelete